What Is 1st Chair
1st Chair is a Community Cause Marketing partnership between MAMA and Morgan Murphy Media that spotlights music students and their achievements. Students are nominated by parents/teachers via entries to Channel 3000. Nine monthly winners are showcased between September 2013 and June 2014 via a promotional campaign on WISC, TVW and Channel 3000. They are also honored at the Madison Area Music Awards Show June 22nd at the Overture Center.
Benefits of Music Education
Schools with music programs have significantly higher graduation rates than do those without programs (90.2% as compared to 72.9%). Schools that have music programs have significantly higher attendance rates than do those without programs (93.3% as compared to 84.9%).
-Harris Interactive poll of high school principals, 2006
Students at schools with excellent music programs had higher English and math test scores across the country than students in schools with low-quality music programs.
-Christopher M. Johnson and Jenny E. Memmott, Journal of Research in Music Education, 2006
About First Chair Program
MAMA in conjunction with Heid Music and WISC-TV 3 are pleased to announce the First Chair, a program that honors outstanding music students in schools and in private instruction. Eligible students are nominated by their teachers or other community members, and each month a student is chosen to occupy the 1st Chair. All the chosen students will be invited to the annual Madison Area Music Awards where they will be honored in a special presentation and receive an honorary MAMA award.
* * * 1st Chair Official Rules * * *
1. No purchase necessary. Nominee must be between 5-18 years of age (Born: 6/2/1995 – 9/9/2008), a Wisconsin resident and participate in any musical art.
2. To enter, complete an official registration form located on Channel3000.com; Entry must include video or photo of entry with explanation on why the entry/nominee is worthy of winning the “1st Chair” award. One entry per person will be eligible for judging.
3. Entry period runs September 9, 2013 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 1, 2014.
4. Entries will be judged by the Madison Area Music Association and Heid Music; Judging criteria includes but not is limited to the following: Originality, Talent, Contribution to school, community or other musical organization. Entries remain eligible throughout the judging period from September 9, 2013 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 1, 2014.
5. One (1) winner will be selected each month on approximately the following dates: Oct. 7; Nov. 4, Dec. 2, Jan. 2; Feb. 3; Mar. 3; April 1; May 1; June 2
6. Winners will be broadcast on WISC-TV3 and TVW and posted on the Madison Area Music Association web site. They will also be invited to appear and be honored at the Madison Area Music Association Awards Show (date and venue TBA).
7. As a condition of entry, entrant agrees to allow Morgan Murphy Media, The Madison Area Music Association, Heid Music and participating sponsors the use of his/her name, and/or likeness, video/photo for publicity purposes.
8. Winners will receive a plaque; Prize can’t be exchanged or redeemed for cash. Each entrant waives the right to assert as a cost of winning any prize, and any and all costs of verification and redemption or travel to redeem a prize and any liability that might arise from redeeming or seeking to redeem a prize.
9. Employees of Morgan Murphy Media, The Madison Area Music Association, Heid Music, participating sponsors, advertising and promotion agencies, and/or those living in the same household of each or agents of any of above are not eligible to enter or win.
10. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to all terms and conditions of these rules; agrees to be bound by these rules and the decision of the contest judges; Each entrant agrees to release and hold harmless Morgan Murphy Media, The Madison Area Music Association, Heid Music, and any and all sponsors and persons affiliated with the contest from any liabilities and all claims of damage. Morgan Murphy Media reserves the right to cancel, amend and/or revoke this promotion due to printing errors or other mistakes.
11. Morgan Murphy Media is not responsible for any problems/failures related to any contestant’s lost, late, stolen or misdirected entry. Decision of the judges is final. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
1st Chair is Sponsored By:
2013 First Chair Winners