AWARD SELECTION CRITERIA/ELIGIBILITY
The MAMA has established the Teacher of the Year Award to recognize an area educator who demonstrates excellence in musical education with a $500 grant that can be used towards the teacher’s music program of choice. This award is given on stage at the annual Grammy-style MAMA Awards show. Please see below for criteria considered in selection for this honor.
Online application must be received by May 8th
Teacher must provide instruction inside the boundaries defined by the attached map:
Who Can Nominate?
Candidates for this award can be nominated by themselves, a current or former student, colleague or community member familiar with his or her work.
Letter of recommendation:
Teacher must provide a letter of recommendation by a colleague or former/current student familiar with her/his work as a musical mentor.
Teacher demonstrates excellence in musical education as demonstrated by:
- awards/recognition for student performances on a community/state/national level (e.g. state solo ensemble). Applicants will be asked to provide a short vitae of his/her career.
- creating frequent performance opportunities for students in various settings (e.g. school concerts/musicals, recitals, community performances, festival appearances etc)
- recorded performance submissions (e.g. including links to recordings or videos of student performances)
The following activities/accomplishments will also be considered:
- Community service through music (e.g. fundraising activities for local charities through performance)
- General community service that serves area youth
Teacher must be able to attend the MAMA Award Show to accept this award
Please visit awards.themamas.org for this year’s show date/time/location. A brief acceptance speech (3 minutes) is strongly encouraged.
Notification: Award Recipients will be selected at the end of May. All applicants will be notified of results.
Click here to apply!
Once you complete the form, you must return here and upload:
- A letter of recommendation (if you chose to include a link to a performance video on the form), or
- A letter of recommendation AND an mp3 of students who have performed under the direction/mentorship of the applicant.