AWARD SELECTION CRITERIA/ELIGIBILITY
The MAMA has established the Student of the Year Award to recognize an area student who demonstrates excellence in musical achievement with a $250 scholarship that can be used towards the students music/higher education. This award is given on stage at the annual Grammy-style MAMA Awards show. Please see below for criteria considered in selection for this honor.
Online application must be received by May 8th
Student must attend school inside the boundaries defined by the attached map.
Student must a Junior or Senior in high school at the time of application.
Who Can Nominate?
Candidates for this award can be nominated by themselves, a current or former teacher or community member familiar with his or her accomplishments.
Letter of recommendation:
Student must provide a letter of recommendation by a music teacher or musical mentor.
Student demonstrates excellence in musical performance as demonstrated by:
- awards/recognition for performance on a community/state/national level (e.g. state solo ensemble)
- frequent performances in various settings (e.g. school concerts/musicals, community performances, festival appearances etc)
- recorded performance submissions (e.g. including links to recordings or videos of student performances)
The following activities/accomplishments will also be considered:
- Community service through music (e.g. fundraising activities for local charities through performance)
- Fostering the next generation of musicians (e.g. mentoring younger student musicians/teaching lessons)
- Other activities outside of music that demonstrate that student is well-rounded (e.g. academic or athletic achievements, involvement in school activities such as student government, 4H etc)
Student must be able to attend the MAMA Award Show to accept this award
Please visit themamas.org for this year’s show date/time/location). A brief acceptance speech (2 minutes) can be made by the student if desired.
Notification: Award Recipients will be selected at the end of May. All applicants will be notified of results.
Click here to apply!
Once you complete the form, you must return here and upload:
- A letter of recommendation (if you chose to include a link to a performance video on the form), or
- A letter of recommendation AND an mp3 of the student’s performance!